Tea Is Brewing
Experience the Meeting that Protested a Tax and Sparked a Revolution!
Recreate the fiery tea tax debates of 1773 in the very hall where they took place—the Old South Meeting House! Tea Is Brewing is an educational program that gives students firsthand experience of the events leading up to the Boston Tea Party and introduces students to some of the complexities of the American Revolution.
During this 60-minute educational program, students bring this pivotal moment in history to life by taking on the roles of Patriots and Loyalists. They will follow the same path the colonists took in their decision to dump the tea and consider what else is at stake in colonial Boston in 1773. This program also provides an excellent place-based opportunity to learn about the history of protest and political representation in Massachusetts.
Teachers will receive pre-visit curriculum and materials, including background information and character cards.
Grades: 3 through 12
Location: Old South Meeting House
Time: 60 minutes + time to explore museums (approximately 60 minutes)
Group Size: Up to 40 people. Larger groups can be accommodated with prior preparation. Please contact Revolutionary Spaces for more information.
Facilitator: Tea Is Brewing is facilitated by a dedicated and knowledgeable member of Revolutionary Spaces' Visitor Experience team.
- $10 per person ($200 minimum)
- One free adult chaperone per 10 students
- Includes FREE self-guided or guided tours of both historic sites and museums
- Add on a 90-minute tour of historic Boston for an additional $5 per student
- Our Education Room is available free of charge for group lunches and meetings for up to one-hour, with a $100 charge for every additional hour.