Preservation of the
Old South Meeting House
Protect a Historic Treasure
Revolutionary Spaces is responsible for the care and maintenance of Old South Meeting House. Great efforts have been made to preserve this historic landmark throughout its nearly 300-year-history. The following timeline demonstrates just a few of the major efforts that have been made to protect and preserve Old South Meeting House.
Help protect and preserve this national treasure! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 720-1713 Ext. 160.
When the British left Old South Meeting House after converting it to practice horse riding, the building was unfit for occupancy. It took nearly eight years for the congregation to raise the funds and restore the interior.
Despite its growing status as an historical landmark, the very survival of Old South Meeting House was threatened when the Great Boston Fire of 1872 destroyed nearly all of downtown Boston. The Old South Meeting House almost burned down. Old South Meeting House was then put on the auction block and slated for demolition.
Old South Meeting House was saved by the Old South Association and opened to the public as a museum and meeting place.
An award-winning project to preserve and restore the 1766 Old South Meeting House tower clock was completed. It is the oldest American-made tower clock still operating in its original location.
An award-winning project to return a bell to Old South Meeting House was made possible through the generous support of the Storrow family, which funded both the purchase and installation of the bell. The 876-pound bronze replacement bell was forged in 1801 by Paul Revere & Sons Bell and Cannon Foundry in the North End and is one of only 46 surviving bells made during Paul Revere’s life.
A project to paint, preserve, and restore the steeple and exterior windows of the building was completed, funded by the National Park Service Repair and Restoration Program.
Revolutionary Spaces began the revitalization of Old South Meeting House Washington Street Entrance, generously supported in part by the Richard and Susan Smith Family Foundation and the Freedom Trail Foundation. This project entailed the restoration of the plaster walls, painting of the staircase spindles and skirt board, restoration of three sets of double doors, re-fabrication of the hinges, and replacement of lighting.